Easy and Healthy Alternative to Sugary Jams and Jellies!
If you’re not familiar with chia seeds, they’re a superfood originating from South America. Known since the time of the Aztecs, the seeds have been harvested and prized for their great nutritional benefits. They are incredibly packed with rich nutrients and anti-oxidants. The seeds work as a gel-like thickener when combined with liquid. It works to thicken the jam without cooking it, for a quick and healthy way to avoid sugary store-bought jams and jellies.
This Tropical Chia Jam tastes great and it’s super fast to make in a blender:
- 1 C Fresh or frozen fruit of your choice (I used equal amounts of pineapple, mango, and blueberries)
- 2 T Chia seeds
- 1 T Agave nectar, honey, or maple syrup (optional)
- Optional: up to ¼ C water or juice of your choice to be able to process, if needed
- In a high-powered blender, combine all ingredients and blend until smooth.
- You may need to add tablespoons of water or fruit juice for blender to process.
- Taste and adjust sweetener, if needed.
- Pour into a small bowl and serve with toast, breakfast porridge, crepes, or on sandwiches.
- Jam will thicken as it sits, cover and refrigerate any left-overs.
- Will last up to 1 week if refrigerated.
You might like to try using chia seeds to make pudding! Try these chia pudding recipes.