I feel like marking this day on my calendar!
This salad will make a kale lover out of you! (if you aren’t already) I admit I’ve never been a fan of kale in smoothies because it adds a bitter flavor to them. But, they say eating healthier is a journey and mine has led me to a kale salad I can finally get behind 100%. By combining kale with sweet red grapefruit, they complement each other so well.
Another secret I learned about kale…
This easy trick worked like a charm! Kale tastes infinitely better if you massage it lightly and let it soften. Like kneading bread dough, but, it’s quicker and easier. Learn how simple it is in the recipe with further directions.
Why it’s worth it?
Kale is one of the most nutritionally dense vegetables you can ever eat! In a cup of kale is nearly 3 grams of protein, 5 grams of fiber, no fat, and only 35 calories. Such a great source of vitamin C, folate and iron, that it has been recommended for diabetics, cancer patients, and pregnant women. You bet it’s worth it!
- 4 C Chopped Kale, stems removed, ½” to 1” pieces
- 3 large red grapefruits, sectioned
- 1 C Very thinly sliced raw red cabbage
- ½ C Very thinly sliced crosswise shallots
- ½ C Sliced almonds
- 2 T Olive oil
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced (3 T juice, 1 T zest)
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl add kale, lemon juice & zest, salt and pepper.
- Massage kale with your hands by squeezing, releasing for about 30 seconds, until the color of the kale has darkened to a deep green; allow to sit for 5-10 minutes to soften.
- Section grapefruit, slice cabbage & shallots, and add almonds to kale and toss.
- Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
You can see lots of more salad recipes here.