This recipe is the best one to try! For most people, getting enough fruits and especially vegetables and fiber, can be very difficult. Smoothies, typically made with fruit juices, milk or yogurt, have now been upgraded to be less sweet and more nutritionally dense. These new smoothies, called Green drinks, are popular because they taste good and they’re super healthy for you. The difference is the inclusion of green leaves or vegetables. You can experiment with any types of raw greens, such as parsley, beet greens, and/or kale; but, generally speaking, the darker the green color the more vitamins it contains. Many people also add 1/4 cup of protein powder, to feel full longer.
Here’s one way to try to eat (or drink) better for your health with this beginner’s green drink. It tastes pleasant and comforting, with or without the extra sweetener, because it’s sweetened by the apple. As you become accustomed to drinking more fiber and raw greens, try adding more spinach (or greens) to your drink. I usually double it to two cups of greens with a little extra water. Give this a try for breakfast instead of your usual meal. It’s really good!
- 1 C Ice cubes
- 1 C Water
- 1 C Coconut Milk, Skim milk, almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 C Baby Spinach, loosely packed
- 1 Celery Stack, chopped into 5 pieces
- 1 Fuji apple, cored and chopped into 6 pieces
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 T Agave Nectar (optional)
- Combine each of the items in a blender container in the order listed.
- Process on Grate (or blend), then highest speed until texture is very smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Add more or less water depending on desired consistency. Pour into 2 glasses, drink immediately.